Generation STEPS banner
Generation STEPS » Forum
    ^

A*Teens groupies!

Always!

really? you think they handled One of Us, SOS, and Super Trouper well too? the first two are sad songs and the A*Teens make them a bit too happy while the bridge for Super Trouper is atrocious in the A*Teens version.
    Click here to visit site. Thanks for watching.

You're right, S.O.S was sad...at the beginning. I think A*Teens kept the same doomish feeling the sang gave off, they just made it dancier. It wasn't happier. I love that song by them as a matter of fact. I think they had much better production in their songs than Steps did. One of us was never a sad song, it was always upbeat and I think A*Teens conquered it quite well. As for super trouper...one of the few songs I don't care for. Try the bold and the beautiful remix, it's much better.

One of Us is a sad song.

I think nearly all ABBA songs are riddled with a touch of the melancholy.

Hence, why the young A*Teens had problems with them.

Ooooh . . . A*Teens . . .

(waits for "STEPS are better" people to attack me . . . Or sand_tiger86)

Meh, no attacks just..disagreements lol As I said, I'm biased. I heard A*Teens versions long before the orginals from ABBA, so I'll always like them better. Although I love and respect ABBA for their influence in nearly all of my favorite bands, their music is too dated for me to enjoy without thinking "I wish someone would redo these songs". A*Teens did just that for me, so I love it. I'm not the type of person who thinks that a "classic" is untouchable, and should be left alone. I say go for it, it's not like you won't still have the original.

I totally agree with the last statement sand_tiger86. People think that the classics are so good that no one is worth redoing them. The problem with that is, the classics will die out. I heard of ABBA through A*Teens and I adore ABBA so much now; I would not have had that if not for the glorious teens. I think though, that the STEPS versions of the songs were not made as so much to showcase skill as they were made to help a cause (did they not mention something like that?).

Different groups, different styles.

But if you want to hear REAL ABBA butchering, pick up (or not) ABBA-A Tribute. Ugh, talk about rubbish covers with all kinds of naffness attached.

I don't really think A*Teens did any of the Abba songs justice personally. I quite like them but they were way too young to get any of the sentiment in them.

Oh and One Of Us really is a sad song.

I do agree that Steps version of LAYLOM was a bit bouncy but I never really thought it was a deep and meaningful song anyway and I think that is why they chose that one to cover. Their version of IKHSW is fantastic - the girls sound amazing!

In my opinion, Mamma mia was A*Teens best ABBA cover. It was never a horribly meaningful song, just fun and had the most amazing melody I've heard (even to this day), and A*Teens really did a fantastic job on it in my book.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information